About Clare Haggas: Clare is a renowned wildlife artist, based in Cheltenham England, who brings her artwork to life on British made, silk accessories. Read more here.
One of the most popular scarf sizes around the world: the Rectangular, or Long, Scarf!
Here at Clare Haggas, we call them our much loved 'Classic' scarves, due to their iconic status and because they're so universally loved for their versatile styling options.
Here we've got a round up of some of the most popular ways to tie and style a rectangular scarf, using the Classic 153cm long x 43cm wide classic silk scarf, as well as the luxurious 200cm long x 65cm wide classic style wool/silk wrap:
1. Classic Knot:
Probably the most simple style, yet also versatile:
- Drape your scarf around your neck with one end slightly longer than the other.
- Tie loosely at your neck.
- Adjust for comfort and style - you can tie at different areas for a different look!
2. Asymmetric Drape:
A great way to show off a scarf with a beautiful design, with one end left longer than the other:
- Drape your scarf around each side of your neck, bringing the two ends around the front of each shoulder.
- Leave one end longer than the other, and let your scarf do the talking!
3. The Choker Drape:
4. The Double:
One of the most dramatic styles you can go for, as the designs will be shown off beautifully. This style works better when using silk or thin cotton scarves, and you will require two of the same design:
- Take your two identical scarves, tie them together to create one really long scarf.
- Place the tied knot at the back of your neck, to hide it, and drape the two long ends down over your shoulders, at the front.
- Drape your scarf around each side of your neck, bringing the two ends around the front of each shoulder, falling evenly past your waist.
- Secure a stylish belt around your waist, with the scarf tucked inside the belt!
6. The Bow:
Image credit: Jade Brook
Another pretty style, that works best with thinner scarves:
- Drape your scarf around your neck, bringing the ends forward over your shoulders.
- Tie a loose bow with the two ends on one side of your neck - alternatively, thread the two ends through one of my Classic Scarf Rings, pulling the ring to around half the length of the ends in front of you. Pull fabric from each end through the sides of the scarf ring, creating an effortless bow!
- Adjust the bow for a charming, feminine touch.
7. The Cowel Neck Drape:
- Drape your scarf around each side of your neck.
- Throw one end of the scarf over the opposite shoulder!
8. The Tied Choker:
A beautiful way to keep your neck covered and stay warm on cooler days - with the thermal properties of silk. This style is also great for other material types, as well as thicker blanket scarves:
- Take the ends of your scarf, and throw them behind you over each shoulder.
- Bring each end across the back of your neck and to the front of the opposite shoulder.
- Then you can either tie the scarf in front of you, or secure with a scarf ring.
- Adjust the position of the knot or scarf ring at different lengths for varied looks!
9. The Off-Center Shoulder Wrap:
An elegant style works best with larger scarves, such as my wool silk wraps, or blanket scarves. Perfect for wrapping up on chilly summer evenings!
- Begin with one end longer than the other.
- Drape the scarf around your neck, with the ends falling over both shoulders.
- Bring the longer end around to the opposite shoulder, with the width of the scarf covering your arm.
10. The Tied Drape with Scarf Ring:
Another simple style, using any of my scarf rings to secure, rather than tying:
- Drape your scarf around your neck with both ends evenly placed placed in front of you.
- Bring the two ends together, and feed them through a scarf ring.
- Adjust the length at which the scarf ring site for a variety of different looks.
These are just a few ways to style a classic, long, rectangular scarf.
Experiment with different methods and find the ones that suit your personal style and the occasion. Don't hesitate to mix and match with various outfits to create unique looks. With your versatile scarf, you'll be ready to make a stylish statement in any season!